Apple Pie Doughnuts! Yum!
- First, make the dough - whisk together the milk, yeast and sugar and allow to bloom for around ten minutes.
- Add the eggs and whisk then add the flour and salt. Keep kneading until you have a smooth but sticky dough, then knead in the butter. Place in a greased bowl and cover with a wet tea towel, then leave to rise somewhere warm until doubled in size. Meanwhile crack on with the rest of the things!
- In a pan toast the pecans along with sugar and butter. Keep stirring over a low heat until the nuts are smelling delicious and a sticky caramel has coated them - pour onto a lined baking sheet to cool.
- To make the apple filling cook the apples with the water, butter, cinnamon and sugar until soft. Mix the cornstarch with the water to make a paste then add to the apple mixture. Bring to a simmer to thicken then remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Hopefully the dough will have risen by now - divide it into 12 equal sized pieces (they should weigh roughly 70g). Roll them into little balls and place them on a lined tray. Cover and let them double in size.
- Whisk together everything for the cinnamon/apple sugar.
- Heat a large pan of vegetable oil to 150°C. Gently pop each doughnuts in batches of three and cook for around 2 - 3 mins on both sides, then toss each one in the cinnamon apple sugar. Leave to cool on a rack.
- Heat all the ingredients for the caramel in a pan until bubbling - test between two fingers (allow to cool a bit first, obviously) to see if the sugar has dissolved properly.
- Pipe the apple mix into the centre of the doughnuts (use a knife to cut a little hole first).
- Cover with caramel and sprinkle with nuts.