3 apples, peeled and diced small
1 tbsp butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
Pinch of salt
Juice of two lemons
1/4 cup water
2 sheets ready rolled puff pastry
Apple pie is a classic dessert for the winter holidays. If you’re not up to making a full pie, this apple pie start is an easy cop out! You’ll still get all the delicious flavors of apple pie, and it takes much less time and stress to make. Serve with caramel sauce or ice cream for a bonus!
- In a saute pan over medium heat, melt butter. Add apples and toss to coat. Stir in brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, lemon juice, and water. Cook until reduced and apples have softened. Set aside to cool completely.
- Pre-heat oven to 180ºC (350ºF).
- Roll out puff pastry. Spread apple mix in a circle around the center of the puff pastry leaving a 4” empty circle. Top with the second piece of puff pastry. And press to adhere. Place a bowl I the middle of the pastry where there is no apple mixture. Cut slits around the bowl 4 quadrants and 4 slices in each. Twist two slices into each other and pinch to seal at the end. Continue with remaining to create a star shape.
- Remove the bowl and cut our center. Brush evenly with egg wash and sprinkle with demerera sugar.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown. Serve with caramel sauce.