Bahn Mi Dogs
What you need
- 6 pork sausages
- 1 litre hot water
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger, sliced (skin on)
- 2 star anise
- 1 heaped tsp fennel seed
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 10 black peppercorns
- 3 cloves
- 6 radishes, sliced
- 1 cucumber, sliced on an angle
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 cup rice wine vinegar
- 50g sugar
- 20g salt
- mini baguettes, baked in the oven to crisp up
- coriander, mint, pate, mayonnaise, red chilli, maggi seasoning, to serve
- In a shallow pan, add 1L water, spices, ginger and garlic, bring up to a simmer then drop in the sausages. Turn the heat low, cover and poach for about 20 minutes, then turn off the heat and leave the sausages in the liquor while you make your pickles.
- Pour 2 cups v.hot water to a large bowl. Add the sugar, salt and vinegar. Throw in your veg, mix briefly, cover and set aside for 30 minutes or so.
- Heat a griddle pan until smoking. Grill your sausages until nicely charred and caramelised. Slice on an angle.
- Fill your baguette. Scrape a little pate on your baguette, then mayonnaise. Top with sliced, grilled sausage, pickles, herbs, chilli and shake over some maggi.