Wish someone special a very vegan happy birthday with our latest recipe. It’s been 45 years since Baileys introduced their first ever bottle, and frankly, we think they’re only getting better with age. Featuring the ludicrously luxurious Baileys Almande, our plant-based chocolate cake is boozy, beautiful and big on flavour. Look no further next time you need a birthday showstopper.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Grease three 8-inch/20cm round tins and line the bases with baking parchment
- Whisk together the almond milk and vinegar. It should curdle slightly. Add baileys Almande and whisk in the sugar, oil and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Gradually whisk the wet ingredients into the dry until smooth. Divide the batter evenly between the tins and bake for about 30 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave the cakes to cool in their tins for 30 minutes then carefully turn them out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place chopped vegan chocolate in a bowl.
- Heat Baileys Almande in the microwave until hot and steaming and pour over the chocolate.
- Cover and allow the cream to melt the chocolate, stir until smooth.
- Cool at room temperature stirring occasionally until you get a spreadable consistency.
- Sift the icing sugar, salt, cocoa and espresso powder into a bowl.
- Whip the vegan butter with a hand mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add in the sugar mixture and vanilla
- Add Baileys Almande and whip until thick and fluffy.
- To assemble the cake, place one of the layers on a serving plate/cake stand. Spread a layer of icing evenly on top. Repeat with remaining layers of cake.
- Spread the remaining icing over the cake and smooth with a spatula. Chill cake for 30 minutes until set and cold.
- Reheat ganache if needed to a pourable consistency. Using a piping bag, pie drips along the edges of the cake. Spread more ganache in the centre to fill.
- Let chill for 15 minutes. Top with vegan treats and gold leaf if desired.
- Slice and enjoy!