Tara cooks up a sweet treat in the Dubai desert: a Baklava cheesecake! There's no better combination than creamy cheesecake, filo, rosewater and pistachios!
- Pre-heat oven to 160ºC and line an 9” springform pan with butter and parchment paper over the base.
- Make the syrup; add all the ingredients in a pot and bring to a simmer. Let cook for about 20 minutes until thick and syrup-like. Let cool completely.
- Mix the nuts, cinnamon, cardamom and salt with half the syrup and set aside.
- Meanwhile, whip the cream cheese with sugar, lemon, cornflour and vanilla. Add in the eggs, one at a time. Then fold in the greek yoghurt.
- Keep the filo under a damp cloth to prevent it from drying out.
- Take one sheet, brush with butter and lay the sheet inside the pan, buttered-side down, pushing into the sides and allowing one end of the pastry to overhang the top edge of the springform pan. Repeat with about 8-10 more sheets of filo to cover still overhanging over the edges.
- Pour half of the cheesecake batter into the pan. Arrange half of the nuts on top followed by the rest of the cheesecake mixture and the remaining nuts.
- Fold over the overhanging filo to cover the cheesecake. If needed add and extra buttered sheet to cover any openings. Brush the top with melted butter and transfer a baking sheet to bake for about 1 hour.
- While the cheesecake is still warm, pour the remaining syrup over top to soak. Garnish with chopped green pistachios and rose petals. Let cool completely in the tin.