This Giant Beef Stew Garlic-Bread Calzone is no joke! The homemade dough, brushed with garlic butter, is home to a hearty beef stew filling and lots of cheese. Wrap it up, bake it, and enjoy– enough for the whole family!
- Mix together 2 tbsp flour with salt and pepper in a bowl. Add the beef and toss to coat
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Sear the beef until browned. Remove and set aside.
- Add butter to the pan and reduce to medium heat. Saute the onions and mushrooms until softened and lightly caramelized. Add in the garlic and cook until aromatic.
- Add the beef back in and 2 tbsp of flour, stirring to coat. Stir in the tomato paste and cook through for a couple of minutes.
- Pour in the red wine and beef stock. Bring it up to a simmer, place the lid on and let it bubble away gently until the meat is tender and broken apart. Then shred and set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, make the dough.
- Mix 1/2 cup lukewarm water and yeast together in a bowl, let sit until frothy.
- In a separate bowl, add water, olive oil, honey and salt. Add one fup of four and mix together. Then mix in yeast mixture and remaining flour one cup at a time.
- Knead on a floured surface until smooth.
- Roll the dough out into a large wide oval.
- Sprinkle a layer of cheese in the middle of one side. Top with a layer of the beef stew and another layer of cheese.
- Fold the dough over and pinch the edges to seal.
- Brush with egg wash and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- While baking, mix together the garlic butter ingredients and brush over while still hot.
- Slice and serve. Enjoy!