- 4 Bratwurst sausages
- 2 cups flour
- 1 heaped tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 300ml beer (IPA is good)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- saurkraut, gherkins and german mustard, to serve
- sunflower oil, for deep frying
- Preheat your oven to 200°C. Pop your sausages in for 25 minutes, or until nicely coloured and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, make your batter. Pop the flour, baking powder, salt, mustard, beer and cayenne in a bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Chop your sausages in half and skewer each with a cocktail stick. Heat your oil to 190°C. Dip each piece of sausage in the batter then chuck into the oil. Fry until nicely golden, about 2-3 minutes. Drain on kitchen towel.
- Serve with mustard, gherkin and some kraut!