Buffalo Popcorn Chicken
What you need
- 3-4 chicken breasts
- 250ml buttermilk
- 4 cloves crushed garlic
- 2tsp dijon mustard
- 1tbsp malt vinegar
- 1tbsp honey
- 200g plain flour
- 2tsp oregano
- 2tsp paprika
- 2tsp cayenne pepper
- generous 1tsp salt
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- For the Buffalo sauce: 150g butter, 250ml hot pepper sauce, 1 1/2 tbsp white vinegar, 1/2 tsp celery salt, few drops Worcestershire sauce, pinch cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper, pinch garlic powder
- Extras: blue cheese dipping sauce
- Slice the chicken breasts into bitesize pieces. In a bowl, combine the buttermilk, minced garlic, mustard, vinegar and honey. In another bowl, mix together the plain flour, oregano, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
- Submerge the chicken pieces in the buttermilk mix to fully coat, then drain and roll in the seasoned flour to form a generous outer coating.
- Heat the oil in a deep saucepan to 160c. While it is coming to temperature, make the buffalo sauce.
- Melt the butter, add all the other ingredients, then whisk together. Just before it comes to the boil, switch off and cool a little.
- When the oil has reached 160c, deep fry the chicken pieces until golden brown and crispy. Toss in the buffalo sauce.
- Serve hot alongside the blue cheese dipping sauce.