Carrot Cake Roll
What you need
- 4 eggs
- 150g brown sugar
- 100g plain flour
- 1 tbsp mixed spice
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 200g carrots, grated
- 30ml vegetable oil
- 230g cream cheese
- 6 tbsp butter
- 250g icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
Carrot cake, but in a roll. Moist AF from all those carrots, creamy from all the delicious cream cheese, but with an adorable spiral running though it. It's not always about the big twists.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/360°F
- Whisk the eggs until they are frothy and have lightened in colour. Add sugar and continue to whisk until the mixture because shiny and smooth.
- Sift in the flour and mixed spice, then stir in the grated carrots and fold it all together.
- Spread into a lined and well oiled 10 x 15 inch Swiss roll tray.
- Bake for 18 minutes, until the top springs back when pressed but hasn't coloured - you don't want a crust like you'd get with a normal cake.
- Take from the oven and, while it's still hot, roll up the cake to make a tight roll. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- When completely cool make the cream cheese filling - whip the cheese and butter together then add the icing sugar to make a fairly stiff mix. Add more icing sugar if it looks like the mix is too wet, otherwise it'll splodge out of the sides.
- Spread the filling to within 1/2 inch of the long sides of the cake, leaving the furthest short edge 1 inch clear (otherwise the filling will get squished out).
- Roll the whole thing up and dust with icing sugar.