What could be more comforting than oozing, cheese filled mash balls bobbing around on an aromatic beef sea? Our cheesy mash beef pie is the epitome of winter indulgence, a celebration of all the nice things in these long dark months.
- Heat the oil in a large casserole dish and brown the beef.
- Remove from the pan and stir the butter in to deglaze the pan a little. Add the onion and sautee until soft, then add the garlic and cook for a further minute before stirring in the flour.
- Pop the beef back in then pour over the wine, stock and passata. Season and place the lid on and let it bubble away gently until the meat is tender.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F.
- Meanwhile, season the mash and form into small circles. Chop the cheddar into cubes and place 1 in the middle of each circle, then fashion each into a ball of mash with a cheese centre.
- Pour the beef stew into a baking dish and top with the mash balls.
- Bake for around 30 minutes until the mash has crisped up and turned golden.