What You’ll Need:
- 3cm roughly chopped & peeled root ginger
- 1 green chilli, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 4 brown onions, thinly sliced and sweated for 15 mins
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1 cup gram flour
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 chicken breast, diced
How You Make It:
- First, in a mortar and pestle, grind the ginger, seeds and ginger to make a rough paste.
- Bring this over to a bowl containing the cooked onions and mix together along with the flour, spices, oil and lemon juice. Bring the dough together with a little water – bear in mind it needs to be quite dry.
- On a lined baking tray put 6 tablespoons of the mixture and pat down slightly. Press a piece of chicken into each one and cover with more bhaji mix, then bake at 360°F/180°C for 35 minutes, basting occasionally with oil, until they are golden brown and crisp. Serve with mango chutney and fresh coriander.