Why make a gingerbread house when you can make this adorable Christmas Gingerbread Cake– especially when cookie-butter butter cream frosting is involved. Get creative with the whole family to make the gingerbread men unique!
- Grease 3 cakes tins with butter and line with parchment.
- Heat oven to 180°C.
- Add your milk and treacle to a small saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer, stirring until your treacle has melted. Leave to cool.
- In a large jug whisk together your buttermilk, eggs, rum and vanilla.
- Sift your flour into a bowl and add the rest go your dry ingredients. Whisk to combine, then create a well in the middle. Pour your wet mixture into the well and whisk until you have a smooth batter.
- Pour evenly into your baking tins and bake for 25-30 mins. Leave in their tins for 10 mins, then carefully place on a wire rack to cool.
- Decorate your gingerbread men with icing and sweets.
- In a heatproof bowl set over a lightly simmering pan, add your eggs, sugar and salt and whisk for a couple of mins until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is frothy.
- Remove from the heat and continue to whisk until the mixture is cool and the mixture holds stiff peaks. Add the butter one tablespoon at a time until you have a thick glossy mixture. Add your ginger and biscuit spread and whisk again until your mixture is fully combined.
- Ice your cake between the layers and around the outside. Decorate with gingerbread men and serve!