What you need
- 3/4 cup chopped butter
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 4 large eggs
- 1 litre groundnut oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp cinnamon sugar
- Thick hot chocolate
- Begin by making the churros batter. Add the butter and sugar to a saucepan and bring to the boil. Pour in the salt and flour and briskly stir until a smooth looking dough forms on the end of the spoon. Remove from the heat and leave somewhere to cool for five minutes.
- Add the vanilla essence and an egg and beat in until its combined, then repeat with the remaining eggs, beating them in one at a time until you're left with a smooth, slightly sticky paste.
- Add this to a piping bag with a small serrated nozzle and pipe 6 small C shapes onto a lined baking sheet, then pop it in the freezer to harden.
- Meanwhile, grease the back of a muffin tin and carefully pipe all the way up the sides to the middle to make a dome. Try to avoid holes!
- Remove the handles from the freezer and stick them into the sides, then add the mugs to the freezer to set completely (roughly 4 hours).
- Heat up a pan with the oil to 180°C/360°F.
- Lever each churro mug off the muffin tin and fry one at a time until golden brown.
- Let the oil drain off and mix the cinnamon and sugar together then roll the mugs in it.
- Pour in hot chocolate and marshmallows and eat straight away!