What You’ll Need:
- 1 medium chicken, whole
- 1 tbsp five-spice powder
- 100ml Shoaxing rice wine
- 3 spring onions, washed and cut in half
- half a bulb of garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp salt
- Pancakes, spring onion, cucumber and plum sauce (to serve)
How You Make It:
- Pop the chicken in a large dutch oven and rub in the spices and salt with the oil. Put the spring onions and garlic in its arse then pour the rice wine around the chicken. Put the lid on and bake in the oven at 200°C for 20 minutes, then turn down to 150°C and cook for a further 2 hours. Leave to cool in the pot.
- Discard the onions and garlic (or squeeze them out if you like) and pick out any bones or funny bits.
- Put this mixture on a tray and dress with a little sesame oil. Place under a hot grill and cook for 15 minutes or so, turning the chicken occasionally, until crispy. Alternatively, fry the chicken in a good, non-stick frying pan until very crispy and golden.
- Serve with pancakes, hoisin/plum sauce and veg garnish!