What could be better than a buttery, crisp, flaky parcel of Gallic joy? What could beat the croque monsieur - the seemingly perfected synthesis of ham, cheese, mustard and bechamel sauce? Look no further, meet their lovechild, a towering vision of pastry dripping with cheesy sauce and pure unadulterated indulgence. Vive la France!
- [[jwplayerwidget||http://content.jwplatform.com/videos/cCkGGCfG-dkXnENEs.mp4||cCkGGCfG]]Preheat the oven to 180°C/360°F.
- Cut each croissant in half lengthways and spread the bottom with dijon mustard. Layer cheese and ham and place the top layer of croissant on top.
- Place a layer of three croissants in a greased baking tray and top with more cheese and ham, then add the final three with another layer of cheese on top.
- In a sauce pan heat the butter until its foaming and stir in the flour. Cook for a minute or so until it smells biscuity, then gradually stir in the butter to make a smooth sauce. Stir in the salt and cheese and pour directly over the croissants and bake for around 30 minutes, until bubbling and golden on top.
- Serve straight away, wear a beret.