1 hour 40 mins
- 7 medium potatoes
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp salt
- 10 slices emmental
- 10 slices ham
- 2 cups bechamel/white sauce
- 2 cups grated emmental
Potatoes - unparalleled in their versatility, these humble looking tubers have graced the tables of kings and lined the gutters of many a bad night out. There are few things that do not benefit from hasselbacking or being "croqued" and our lumpy friends certainly aren't one of them - in fact, stuffed full of ham and cheese and covered in bechamel sauce, these Franco-British love ins are essentially heaven on a plate. Nom.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F.
- Begin by slicing parallel lines down the length of each potato, using two wooden spoons as guides to prevent the knife cleaving your tater in half.
- Rub each one with oil and sprinkle with salt, then bake for at least an hour, until they begin to fan out and look all sexy.
- Remove from the oven and leave until cool enough to handle.
- Stick slices of emmental and ham in each alternate slit in the potato then cover with bechamel sauce and more emmental.
- Bake for a further 20 minutes until the cheese is bubbling.