- 70g butter
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 50g plain flour
- 800ml milk
- 500g fussilli, cooked to packet instructions
- 200g thinly sliced ham, chopped
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 400g gruyere, half grated half cut into chunks
- 200g emmental
Croque Monsieur, or "crispy mister" en francais - bechamel, mustard, Swiss cheese and ham. Normally a sandwich, but perfectly suited to that other carby vehicle, pasta. Yes please!
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a large saucepan, heat the butter until foaming and fry the garlic until fragrant. Add the flour and cook out for around 20 seconds.
- Add the milk slowly, beating it in thoroughly as you go. Use a whisk if necessary. Bring to the simmer and take off the heat.
- Add the pasta, ham, mustard, seasoning and stir thoroughly, then add the gruyere and fold it in.
- Pour half into an ovenproof dish and add the gruyere cubes and top with the rest of the pasta.
- Sprinkle the emmental on top and bake for around 30 minutes.