3 tsp oil
8 rashers bacon, chopped
6 sausages, meat removed from casing
2 green pepper, diced
250g sliced mushrooms
1 onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp chili flakes
Salt and freshly pepper to taste
1 cup pizza sauce
Sliced Mozzarella cheese
Sliced Provolone cheese
2 sheets of pie crust
We love a good deep dish pizza but really couldn't be fussed with pizza dough. Filling pie crust with a delicious sausage filling and topped with delicious pepperoni spirals which are pretty fun! This deep dish pizza swirl pie is fun, delicious and great for a crowd!
- Pre-heat oven to 180ºC.
- Arrange one sheet of pie crust into a pie dish. Place a large piece of parchment paper on top and fill with baking beans. Par bar until just golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tsp oil in a large sauté pan. Add bacon and fry until crispy and golden. Add sausage meat and break apart with a spoon while cooking.
- When seared, remove with a slotted spoon into a large bowl
- Place the pan back over the heat add remaining oil and cook the onions until soft and caramelized. Add the mushrooms and cook until all the moisture Is evaporated and they’re fried. Add in the garlic and green peppers. Continue cooking until the peppers are soft. Add back sausage, bacon, spices and pizza sauce. Stir to coat. Remove from heat.
- Roll out the second piece of pie crust. Arrange sliced pepperoni over top. Leaving 1” open on the top edge. Brush that edge with egg wash. Roll into a tight log and slice into 1/4” rounds.
- Arrange a layer of mozzarella cheese on the base of the pie crust. Top with half of the sausage mixture followed by a layer of provolone cheese and remaining sausage mix.
- Arrange pepperoni swirls on top of the sausage mixture right to the edge being sure that they touch each other but without loosing there round shape.
- Brush with egg wash evenly and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until golden brown
- Let cool slightly before serving, enjoy!