The Double Down Burger is exactly what you would expect: double the burger and double the taste. Everyone knows the best part of a chicken burger is the chicken, the bacon and the cheese, so we decided to create a burger centred around those items. We got rid of any unnecessary ingredients (like the buns) and replaced them with more chicken (and cheese).
The coating on the chicken acts as the perfect replacement to the bun. For the record, we’re pretty certain that this is what happiness tastes like.
What you’ll need:
- 2 chicken breasts, butterflied
- 500ml Buttermilk
- 1/2 tbsp cayenne
- 1/2 tbsp smoked sweet paprika
- 1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 250g self-raising flour
- A few slices each of mozzarella, red leicester, cheddar and bacon, to serve
- Oil, for frying
How you make it:
- Get your chicken started.
- Add buttermilk to a big bowl and add your cayenne, paprika and salt. Add your chicken breasts to this, mix and leave to marinade for a couple hours, or as long as you can be bothered!
- When you’re hungry, season your flour- Garlic powder, pepper and salt you want in here.
- Grab a piece of chicken from the buttermilk, drop into the flour, then back into the buttermilk, then flour again. Set this piece aside ready for frying, then repeat with the other one.
- Get your oil to 175degs, then fry your pieces until nice and crispy and golden brown.
- Pop one piece on a baking tray, then layer the cheeses and bacon, in any order, followed by the second fried chicken breast.
- Pop in the oven to allow the cheeses to melt- about 5 minutes at 200degs.
- Now, DESTROY IT!