Grilled cheese sandwiches are pretty much the foundation of every food lovers diet. The general consensus is, the cheesier the better.
So imagine a world where we take two of those grilled cheese sandwiches and use them instead of regular old burger buns. Yes you read that correctly, grilled cheese sandwiches, instead of burger buns. A concept so crazy, it works. In fact, not only does it work, but we just improved the regular burger by 100%.
What You’ll Need:
- 4 slices of white bread
- 2 slices each of mozzarella, red leicester and cheddar
- Unsalted butter
- 250g beef mince
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 Red onions
How You Make It:
- Slice your onions and fry slowly in oil, turning occasionally, until dark and sticky.
- Butter you bread slices on one side, then flip two over and place down the cheeses across the two. Pop a little butter in a frying pan and fry each grilled cheese on both sides until golden and the cheese is just starting to spill out the side. Set aside.
- Shape your mince into a square patties the same size as your bread/grilled cheeses. Fry on a high heat in some olive oil until charred on the outside but still juice in the middle.
- On a small baking tray, place down one of your part-cooked grilled cheeses. Place your cooked patty on top of this, then your caramelised onions, then the remaining grilled cheese.
- Pop in a hot oven (220ºC/430ºF) for 3 minutes to encourage the cheese to continue to melt. Too long in here and your burger will overcook, which is nay good.
- Eat with gusto. Godspeed.