You’ll be sure to get all the family around one table this Easter with our chocolate swirl trifle. The recipe combines decadent chocolate cake, creamy Elmlea Double, chocolate custard and even a bit of fruit, for good measure! With the addition of chocolate eggs, there’s also a surprise hidden inside. A delicious dessert which is fun to make, it’s a show-stopping centrepiece which will be all but gone come the end of the weekend.
- Heat your oven to 200C/400F.
- In a small pan, put the chocolate, water and coffee granules. Cook on a low heat until the chocolate is melted. Stir to combine, then set aside to cool a little.
- In a large bowl, beat your egg yolks with 135g sugar until they are thick, pale and moussey.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites to medium-stiff peaks, then whisk in the remaining sugar.
- Pour your chocolate into your egg yolks and marble it through. Sift in your flour and fold it through. Mix through some of the egg whites, then add the rest and gently fold it through.
- Pour your mixture into your lined tray and bake for 10-15 mins on the top shelf of your oven.
- Place a sheet of baking parchment on top of your cake and turn out onto a work surface. Roll up the cake into a roll, then leave to cool.
- Whisk your cream and icing sugar together in a bowl until it holds its shape.
- Unroll your sponge, then spread your Elmlea over the surface, leaving a small border around the edge. Make a small indentation along one side, then use this ledge to roll your sponge into a log, gently pulling the greaseproof paper off it as you do so. Leave to set in the fridge for a couple of hours.
- Carve the log into slices.
- Put your custard in a saucepan and add your chopped chocolates. Cook on a medium heat until the chocolate is melted, stirring all the while. Leave to cool.
- Assemble your trifle by placing your cake swirls around the edge. Fill with Elmlea, then top with your custard. Place a handful of mini eggs in the middle, then place your strawberries around the edge. Spread more Elmlea over the top, then top with your mini eggs and strawberries. Serve!