Making something sweet, simple and spectacular for Christmas has never been so straightforward. Layers of chocolate custard, crumbly shortbread and sticky melted caramel make this Elmlea trifle an epic, indulgent way to end any meal. If you ever needed an excuse to save room for dessert, this dish is definitely it.
- In a pot, heat custard and when warm, stir through the chocolate until melted and a chocolate custard is formed, remove from heat. Cover the surface with cling film to prevent a skin and let cool completely.
- In another pot, add the caramels and Elmlea Double over medium heat. Stir until melted and combined, set aside.
- Place the Elmlea Double and icing sugar in a large bowl. Whisk to form stiff peaks.
- To assemble, arrange a layer of shortbread biscuits in the bottom of a trifle dish, followed by caramel sauce, chocolate custard and a layer of whipped cream. Arrange star shortbread around the sides of the trifle dish and flat in the middle as well.
- Repeat with caramel, chocolate custard, whipped cream, and biscuits. Create a second ring of stars along the edge and repeat again finishing with a heaped layer of whipped cream
- Top with chocolate shavings (optional) and gold sprinkles (optional).
- Chill for half an hour and then serve!