- 200g strawberries, diced
- 50g caster sugar
- 75ml water
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- Whipped cream
- More chopped strawberries
This is the essentials of British summer in form. Twisted are celebrating one of the countries great serendipitous discoveries by taking the premise - strawberries, whipped cream and meringue - and combining them in this jammy, glossy roll. The lacing of puree adds a welcome chewiness to the whole enterprise. Yum.
- In a saucepan heat the strawberries, sugar and water. Simmer for around five minutes until the strawberries have softened, then blend. Strain out the seeds and pulp with a sieve and set aside the puree.
- Preheat the oven to 160°F/320°F. In a large bowl beat the egg white until they make stiff peaks. Add in the sugar one tablespoon at a time and whisk in thoroughly in between - the mix should start going glossy.
- When all the sugar is incorporated beat in the vinegar and corn flour.
- Spread this mixture into a lined 23cm/33cm baking tray - spray the baking paper with a little oil to prevent the meringue from sticking.
- Drizzle the sauce over the meringue and use a cocktail stick to swirl it into the meringue - get creative, think Jackson Pollock.
- Bake for 18 - 20 minutes - the meringue should start looking slightly golden and crunchy but still with a certain amount of wobble - you still need to roll it after all.
- Let it cool in the tin then remove after 10 minutes to a wire tray to cool completely.
- Flip it over onto a board and cut a line across one of the short sides around 1.5cm away from the edge.
- Top with the whipped cream and strawberries then, starting from the short end with the cut, roll the whole thing up.
- Either leave in the fridge to chill or serve immediately.
- Slice and enjoy.