Fajita Fried Chicken
What you need
- 4 chicken thigh fillets, de-boned and skinned
- 1/2 cup fajita seasoning
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 2 cups buttermilk
- oil, for frying
- buns, fried peppers, cheese slices, ranch, shredded lettuce (or your favourite garnish), for serving
- Put self-raising flour into one bowl, and the buttermilk in one adjacent.
- Dredge the thigh fillets in the flour and shake off the excess. Lay on a rack nearby.
- Add half of the spicing to the flour and the other half to the buttermilk. Stir both to combine. Add 1/4 cup to the spiced flour and stir with a spoon to create a few lumpy bits in the dry mix (these will be delicious in the crust later).
- Drop each thigh into the buttermilk, drain of excess, then drop into the lumpy flour and turn to coat well, pressing here and there to encourage sticking.
- Heat your oil to 175°C and fry for 5 minutes or so- or until the thickest part of the chicken reads 75°C.
- Drain on a rack over some kitchen towel.
- Build your bun (or just eat with some pickles and beer).