Fondue Fritters (Malakoff)
What you need
- 5 pieces of white bread
- 4 cups finely grated gruyere cheese
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 1/2 tsp finely chopped tarragon
- 2 tbsp white wine
- Cut two, 3” discs from the centre of each bread slice. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together Cheese, flour, nutmeg, salt, pepper, garlic and tarragon, toss to coat well. Add eggs and white wine, mixing with a spatula until a thick paste is formed.
- Place heaped spoonfuls on each round. Smoothen each mixture into a small mound right to the edge.
- Heat oil to 350F (180C) and fry cheese side down first, flipping once. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel lined rack. Serve immediately.