This homey Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Mash Pie will give you all of the food nostalgia feels. It's cheesy, hearty, and covered in mash: everything you need for the perfect comfort food.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium heat. Add your chicken breasts and fry off for a couple of mins until golden, crisp and tender. Remove from the pan.
- Add half your butter to the pan. When melted, add your onion and fry for 5-10 mins until soft and starting to caramelise. Add your garlic and cook out for 1 min.
- Tip the rest of your butter into the pan and, once melted, add your flour. Cook out for 2 mins, then gradually pour in your milk in small increments, whisking all the while until you have a smooth sauce.
- Once all the milk has been added, bring to a boil then simmer for 2 mins until thickened. Add your cheddar, mozzarella, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Stir until your cheese melts.
- Pop your chicken back in the pan along with your broccoli and stir until everything is coated.
- Mash your cooked potatoes either in a potato ricer or with a potato masher.
- Stir through spring onion, cheddar and salt until totally combined. Take a handful and roll into a tennis ball size, then repeat with your remaining potato.
- Pour your chicken and broccoli mixture into a dish and top with your potato balls. Lay your mozzarella slices over the top, then take to the oven to bake for 25 mins.
- Sprinkle with chives, then serve!