Chicken fried steak is a southern classic. Usually served with mashed potatoes and beans, we've added our little twist and with some cheesy mash and bacon fried green beans. Such a delicious meal and a fun twist on a steak dinner!
- Place cooked potatoes through a ricer or use a masher. Mix through all the mashed potato ingredients and keep warm.
- Place steaks between two pieces of cling film. Using a meat mallet or a rolling pin, pound steaks to about ? ?” - ¼” thick. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place cornstarch in one dish, egg and 1 cup buttermilk in another and flour with spices in a third dish. Drizzle remaining ¼ cup buttermilk in the flour mixture and press together to form small clumps.
- Dredge steaks in cornstarch first, shaking off any excess. Then dip into egg mixture and let excess drip off. Finally, place into flour mix, pressing to adhere on both sides. Let rest on a rack for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tsp oil in a pan over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until crispy. Add green beans and stir to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat about ½-inch of oil to 170ºC. Fry steaks until golden brown on both sides, set aside and keep warm.
- Remove the oil reserving ¼ cup.
- Over medium heat, add reserved oil. Sprinkle in flour and whisk to combine. Gradually add milk and whisk continuously until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, keep hot.
- Serve steak with cheesy mashed potatoes and green beans. Pour hot gravy over chicken fried steak.