A hybrid of the world's most comforting sandwich and everyone's favorite potato dish.
- Turn on the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Add the butter to a large saucepan and melt on a medium heat. Chuck in the flour and stir until smooth. Cook out for a couple of minutes, stirring all the while.
- Gradually add the milk in small increments, stirring constantly in between additions to ensure the mixture is totally smooth.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, then turn down the heat and leave to simmer for 2 mins. Add the cream, garlic, nutmeg and seasoning before throwing in the potatoes. Simmer on a low heat for 15 mins.
- Add half of the grated gruyere to the mix along with the shredded ham and stir to combine.
- Grease a large baking dish with butter. Pop a layer of saucy potatoes in the bottom, then sprinkle with a layer of half the grated emmental. Spread the remaining potatoes on top.
- Cover the top of the dish with tin foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and cover with the remaining grated emmental and gruyere. Return to the oven for another 20 mins, until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Sprinkle with the chives and serve with garlic bread.