When the winter chill shows no sign of waning, there is only one thing for it - combining two of our favourite comfort foods: curry and shepherd's pie! This lightly spiced dish is the ultimate dinner for cool nights.
- In a large saute pan set over a medium heat, add your butter. Tip your cumin seeds, cardamom pods, cloves, bay leaf and cinnamon stick in a pan. Fry for a minute or so until fragrant.
- Tip in your onions, carrot and celery stick and cook them out over a medium heat for 7 or so minutes until softened and starting to caramelise. Add your garlic, chilli and ginger and cook for another minute until your garlic no longer smells raw.
- Add your garam masala, coriander, turmeric and chilli and cook out for another minute.
- Add your beef mince and turn up the heat. Cook for a couple of minutes until browned.
- Add your tomato puree, chopped tomatoes, beef stock and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 mins.
- Add your peas and seasoning and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Add your butter to a small saucepan and heat over a medium heat. Add your cumin and mustard seeds and cook for a minute or two until fragrant and starting to pop.
- Mash your potatoes whilst still warm in a large bowl. Tip in your spiced butter, turmeric, coriander and salt and stir to combine.
- Pour your curried beef mix into a dish. Top with your potato and bake for 30 mins until your mash is crisp.