Whether you’re bored of battling wind and rain, or are just feeling extra indulgent, these seriously creamy scalloped potatoes are a perfect side dish for Thanksgiving. Featuring salty slices of bacon, tangy melted cheese and a topping of French’s Crispy Fried Onions, this is one side dish guaranteed to steal centre stage.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until crispy, remove and set aside.
- Add butter to the same skillet over medium heat and melt. Add onions, cook until softened. Stir through garlic and cook until aromatic. Sprinkle the flour evenly overtop and stir to combine. Cook the flour for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken broth in thirds, whisking in between to incorporate, it should become a paste. Stir through the cream until combined.
- Add nutmeg, parsley, oregano and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Grease a 9x13” baking dish with butter. Layer a third of the sauce, followed by a third of the potatoes. Sprinkle with ? ? cheese and ? ? bacon. Repeat with remaining sauce, potatoes, cheese and bacon.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove the foil and bake for a further 20 minutes, grill for 5 minutes.
- Top with French’s Crispy Fried Onions and chopped parsley and serve.