If you’d like to turn up the heat in your kitchen and support Action Against Hunger’s work this World Food Day, why not take part in their Love Food Give Food campaign with this Leftover Roast Chicken Biryani?
Love Food Give Food is your chance to support people like Abdul saving the lives of malnourished children around the world, by using food to fundraise. From supper clubs to office potlucks, cafes to community groups – pick a fundraiser for you and make your food good in more ways than one.
Learn more about the campaign and how you get involved by visiting Action Against Hunger
- Pre-heat oven to 180ºC (350ºF).
- Coat potatoes and onions with oil and season with salt. Arrange on a lined baking sheet in an even layer. Bake until golden brown, about 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 3 tbsp oil over medium heat in a heavy bottom pot. Add the whole spices, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon stick, and peppercorns. Cook, stirring until aromatic.
- Add the sliced onions and fry until they are caramelized. Stir in the garlic and ginger until aromatic. Add the dry spices and stir to coat.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 5 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until a thick sauce is formed. Reduce the heat to medium-low and stir through the yogurt to combine.
- Add the chicken and season with salt to taste.
- Mix together saffron and milk, set aside.
- Wash rice until the water comes out clear. Soak rice for 30 minutes and then drain.
- Heat oil in a pot. Add rice and 1L of boiling water and salt. Cook the rice for 3 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 180ºC.
- In a large ovenproof casserole dish, layer 1/2 of the chicken masala on the bottom. Top with ½ of the potatoes and 1/3 onions. Follow with a layer of rice. Repeat with remaining chicken, potatoes, onions and rice finishing with a layer of rice on top. Poke a few holes in the top with the handle of a spoon. Pour saffron milk into each hole.
- Cover tightly with foil and with a tight-fitting lid.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- When done, remove lid and foil. Garnish with cilantro, fresh mint, remaining fried onions and chopped cashew nuts.