2 cups sugar
3 1/4 cups all purpose Flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, soft
1 1/2 cups milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 large eggs
1 cup caster sugar
1 cup butter, melted
1 1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup white fondant, split
1 cup Butter cream icing
Yellow, Red and green food colouring
1/4 cup warm honey
Start with the Vanilla cakes:
- Preheat the oven to 180C) t350°F. Lightly grease the bottom two 9" round cake pans
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the butter and beat with an electric mixer at low speed, until the mixture looks sandy.
- Add the milk and vanilla. Mix at low speed for 30 seconds, then increase the speed to medium and beat for 30 seconds.
- Scrape the bottom and sides of the mixing bowl.
- With the mixer running at low speed, add 1 egg at a time. Increase the speed to medium and beat for 30 seconds after each addition.
- Split batter between one 9-inch pan and one 9-inch glass pyrex bowl. Smooth out the tops with an offset spatula.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick, comes out clean.
- Let cool in pans for 10 minutes then remove onto a cooling rack to completely cool. Trim the tops of the cakes to level out.
- Line a 9” cake tin with butter and cocoa powder.
- Mix all ingredients in the order given until smooth. Pour into cake tin and spread to flatten the top.
- Bake at 180C (350F) for 25 minutes until a toothpick comes out with just a little bit of crumb on it. Let cool completely.
- When cool, cut the edge off to get a smaller circle that looks like a burger pattie.
- While the cake are baking or cooling, mix half of the fondant with green food colouring for the lettuce and the other half with some yellow and red food colouring for the cheese.
- Roll the green fondant out about 5 mm thin. Cut out large circles with a large cookie cutter or glass. Roll any remaining fondant out and continue to cut circles until finished, smaller ones are fine as well.
- Using a smooth ended pen, gently roll the edges of the circle to it ruffles slightly and lifts up. Repeat with remaining circles. Set aside and cover with plastic wrap.
- Roll out cheese coloured fondant thin. Trim edges and cut into 6 squares. Set aside covered with plastic wrap.
- Split buttercream into two bowls. Colour one bowl bright red for ketchup and the other yellow for mustard. Start with smaller amounts of food colouring and work the colour up.
- Place a bit of icing on a cake board in the middle. Top with the flat layer of vanilla cake.
- Layer on the lettuce overlapping if needed. Top with the brownie cake.
- Layer on the cheese slices with slight overhang. Pipe the red icing and yellow icing like mustard and ketchup.
- Top with rounded layer. Brush the top with warm honey and sprinkle sesame seeds all over the top.