French toast is great and all but how fun is this giant ham and cheese french toast swirl? Great for when you're having people oer for brunch and you want to impress!
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Cut the crusts off the slices of bread and roll gently to flatten.
- Brush one edge of the bread slice with egg wash. Press the edge of the second slice of bread on top, pressing down firmly to seal. Repeat with remaining bread to create rows of 4 slices.
- Spread bread with dijon mustard. Top with sliced cheese and sliced ham. Cut the bread lengthways. Tightly roll one strip and then put onto the next and continue to roll to form a large spiral.
- Place the large spiral in a greased and lined springform pan. Cover with foil. BAke for about 40 minutes until the french toast is cooked and cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, make the bechamel; in a pan melt butter, add flour and whisk to combine. Gradually pour in milk and whisk continually until smooth. Bring to a simmer then add ½ cup gruyere, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir to combine until smooth, remove to cool slightly.
- Remove springform pan from oven, spread bechamel over the spiral and sprinkle with remaining gruyere cheese
- Grill for 5 minutes until cheese is bubbling and golden.
- Sprinkle with parsley, slice and enjoy!