- In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Add the flour and cook through. Gradually whisk in the milk until smooth. Stir and let thicken.
- Add in the cooked macaroni noodles and cheeses and stir to combine. Split mixture into two 9’inch cling film lined cake trays. Smooth the tops and freeze overnight
- The next day, mix the beef mince with garlic, onion, salt and pepper. Divide mixture into a ring mould (cake tins work well!) on a piece of parchment paper. Flatten into two large patties.
- Heat oil in a large pan and sear the burgers on both sides.
- Leave the second patty in the pan, top with sliced cheddar and the second patty, followed by more sliced cheese. Cover to steam.
- Remove the macaroni and cheese. Dredge in flour shaking off excess, followed by egg and let excess drip. Coat generously in panko bread crumbs. Repeat with second disk.
- Fry in oil at 180ºC until golden brown. Keep warm in the oven.
- Lay one mac and cheese bun on a tray, drizzle with ketchup. Top with lettuce and pickles followed by the double cheeseburger. Top with bacon and the second mac and cheese bun.
- Slice and enjoy!