240 ml whole milk, lukewarm
2 tsp fast action, dry yeast
1 tbsp sugar
2 large egg, whisked
1 ½ tsp salt
500g bread flour
84g soft butter
4 large chicken breasts
3 cups flour
2 tsp garlic powder
2 onion powder
Salt and pepper to taste
6 eggs, whisked
1/4 cup vodka
Shredded iceberg lettuce
Sometimes, a normal-sized sandwich just won’t do. The next time you have a giant fried chicken-sized itch, think bigger than one breast and two buns. Whether you’re flying solo or entertaining a crowd, you’ll keep everyone happy with our giant mayo chicken sandwich - the biggest thing to happen to burgers since sliced bread.
- Mix together milk, yeast, sugar in a large bowl. Let sit until slightly frothy. Add two eggs and stir until combined. Add in all of the flour and salt and mix until combined. Remove from the bowl and knead, the dough will be sticky but soft.
- Add the softened butter and knead into the dough. Knead for about 10-15 minutes until the dough is soft and forms a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl and cover with cling film. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, butterfly chicken breasts and arrange on a lined board, overlapping in the shape of a circle. Place another piece of cling film on top. Using a rolling pin or pound lightly to flatten to about 1/2-inch.
- Transfer to the freezer to chill of 30 minutes until solid.
- Punch dough down and form into a smooth ball. Place in the centre of a greased round, like a 9” springform pan. Cover and let rise for another 30 minutes or until doubled in size. Brush with egg wash and bake for 25 minutes until golden brown. Let cool completely.
- Whisk flour, baking powder and spices together in a large deep pan. Whisk and season eggs in another large deep pan with vodka. (Vodka evaporates quicker than water which dries out the battery quicker, therefore, gets crispy faster!)
- Place the large chicken “disk” in the flour and dust to coat. Shake to remove excess. Add to the egg and spread to coat, let any excess drip off.
- Repeat one more time and ending with a coating of flour.
- Fry the chicken very carefully in a large pan filled with about 1/2” of oil at 170ºC.
- Fip once and remove to a cooling rack. Bake in the oven at 180ºC for 15 minutes to cook through.
- Slice the bun in half, top with the chicken, shredded lettuce and mayo.
- Serve, slice, share and enjoy!