Slow braised beef is shredded and stuffed inside this deliciously buttery pastry to create the giant empanada of dreams! Ensure your sauce is nice and thick so that it doesn't make the pastry too wet.
- Heat the oven to 150C/300C fan/300F.
- Brown the beef in a frying pan on a medium-high heat. Set aside.
- In a large casserole dish, heat some oil on a medium heat. Fry off the onions until they are soft. Then add the red peppers, garlic and jalapeños and cook out for 2 mins. Add the spices and cook out for another 2 mins.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, stock, chipotle paste, tomato puree, sugar and beef. Stir to combine, bring to a simmer then put on the lid and cook in the oven for about 4 hours, or until the meat can be shredded with a fork.
- Once cooked, remove the beef from the sauce and shred it with two forks. Meanwhile, reduce the sauce until it is very thick and add the black beans and salt. Return the beef to the sauce, stir to combine, then leave to cool.
- Heat the oven to 200C/400F.
- Put the flour, baking powder, paprika and salt in a large bowl. Mix together, then add the butter and rub in with your fingers until it is all incorporated. Add the water and combine until all mixed together.
- Tip the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for about 5 mins until smooth. Place in an oiled bowl, cover with cling film and leave to rest at room temp for 1 hour.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and roll it out into a large circle about 1/2cm thick. On one half, lay half the mozzarella, top with the cooled beef mixture and top with more mozzarella. Fold into a half moon, press the edges down to seal and crimp them with a fork. Repeat with your remaining dough and chill for half an hour.
- Brush with beaten egg, then bake for 30 mins, or until the pastry is crisp and golden.
- Serve with sour cream to dip and enjoy!