8 people people
- 300g strong white bread flour
- 6g fast-action yeast
- 1tsp salt
- 15g caster sugar
- 15g soft butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 170ml milk
- Semolina, for dusting
- 300g yellow cheddar
- 150g white cheddar
- 150g mozzarella
- 12 sausages, skin removed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp Italian herb mix
- 8 egg yolks
- 12 egg whites
- 50g butter, melted
Are you hungover on the sofa in your pajamas with your friends wondering what is going to make you feel better? THIS is going to make you feel better. Get to work.
- Heat the oven to 200C/400F.
- Tip the flour into a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle on the salt and the yeast, then add the sugar, butter, egg and milk and mix all the ingredients together.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough for about10 minutes.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with clingfilm and leave to prove for about an hour, or until doubled in size.
- Dust the work surface with a mixture of the semolina and flour. Tip the dough out onto the work surface and roll out to a circle.
- Lightly oil a springform cake tin and dust it with semolina. Place the dough inside the tin and sprinkle with a little more semolina. Cover with cling film and leave to prove for another 40 minutes.
- Preheat a heavy-based frying pan on the hob to a very low heat. Release the giant muffin into the pan and griddle for about 5 minutes, then flip over and griddle for another 5 minutes on the other side. Pop in the oven to finish off for 10 mins.
- Put the cheddar and the mozzarella in a large saucepan. Melt over medium heat until its all soft and gooey. Pour into a square tray lined with parchment and leave to set.
- Combine the sausage meat in a bowl and add the Italian herbs, salt and pepper. On a large piece of greaseproof paper, place a springform cake tin and press the sausage meat into a large disc within it. Remove the cake tin, then pop the patty in the oven for 20 mins until it is crisp and golden.
- Separate your whites and yolks. Place a metal ring off centre in a high sided pan and add some oil. Add the whites to the outer ring of your pan and allow to cook for 2 mins until they start to firm up. Add the yolks to the ring in the centre and cook for 1 min before removing the ring. Transfer to the oven to finish cooking for 5 mins.
- Cut the muffin in half, brush both sides with butter and top one with the cheese slice. Toast under the grill until the cheese is melting, then stack with the sausage patty and the egg. Serve!