Onion Ring. Cheese. Ham. Potato. Yum.
- Peel and chop potatoes until large chunks. Add to a large pan of salted cold water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 mins, or until the potatoes are tender and cooked through.
- Drain the potatoes, then pass through a ricer into a large bowl.
- Add the ham, gruyere, Swiss cheese, mustard, garlic powder, chives and salt and pepper to the potato. Stir until thoroughly combined, then leave to cool.
- Peel the onions and slice into 1/2 inch discs. Place on a tray lined with baking parchment and fill each with the cooled potato mixture. Pop in the freezer to chill for an hour.
- Place the flour, eggs and panko breadcrumbs into separate bowls. Dip the onion discs into the flour, egg and breadcrumbs in turn.
- Fill a large sturdy pan a third of the way with vegetable oil and heat to 160C/325F. Gently lower in the onion rings and fry for 3 mins or until they are crisp and golden.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Add the flour and cook out for 1 min, stirring all the while. Gradually add the milk in small increments, beating it into a smooth paste before adding more milk. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 2 mins until the sauce thickens. Add parmesan, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Serve the onion rings with the cheesy sauce to dip. Enjoy!