These cute lil things are as simple to make as they are impressive to serve. Throw together a big batch of these juicy cherry babies as a no-fuss treat for all the gang - you won't regret it.
- Bring the cherries, water, lemon juice, sugar and cornstarch to the boil in a medium sized pan over medium heat. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and cook for 10 mins, stirring frequently. Leave to cool.
- Heat the oven to 200°C.
- Line an ice cube tray with one sheet of the pastry and push down in the crevices with the back of your knuckle to create a hollow. Fill each ice cube section with 1 tsp of the cherry mix.
- Brush all of the edges with the beaten egg. Lay the second puff pastry sheet on top of the ice cube tray and press down along all of the edges with your fingers to seal them. Roll over the top with rolling pin then trim down any remaining edges.
- Turn out the mini pies by tipping the tray upside down and banging it on the surface. Gently peel the tray away. Slice in between each ice cube section to create individual pies and lay them on a parchment lined baking tray. Ensure all the edges are sealed, then egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 20-25 mins, until golden and oozing with the occasional burst of cherry. Leave to cool.
- Combine the icing sugar with the hot water and stir together until smooth and shiny.
- Pile the pies on plate, drizzle with icing and serve.