Makes 3 Individual Pies
What You’ll Need:
- oil for cooking
- 1 red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- double handful button mushrooms, sliced
- 300g stewing steak (in 2cm cubes)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 3tsp mustard powder
- 3 sprigs rosemary, picked and chopped
- 2tbsp plain flour
- 300ml Guinness
- 4 circles puff pastry
- 1 egg, whisked
How You Make It:
- Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Heat a glug of oil in a large casserole dish or deep ovenproof saucepan. Add the onions and sweat until soft. Now add the garlic, celery and mushrooms. Cook out for 5 minutes.
- Add the stewing steak and allow to brown on all sides (don’t turn it too much, you want a nice colour to form).
- Once the steak has browned, add the salt, pepper, mustard powder, rosemary and flour. Stir to coat then pour in the Guinness and top up with water until the meat is covered. Pop the lid on and place in the oven. Cook for 1 1/2- 2 hours or until the meat is tender and the sauce thickened.
- Increase the oven temperature to 200c.
- Once the filling is ready, spoon into individual pie dishes. Top with a circle of puff pastry and crimp the edges. Brush with egg and bake for 20-25 minutes. Enjoy with mash and green vegetables.