Sometimes we like to layer our lasagna with bechamel, sometimes we kick it up a notch like this Jalapeño popper mac and cheese lasagna.
- In a large pan, cook bacon until fat has started to render and just slightly golden. Add oil and onions. Cook until onions are softened. Add garlic and cook until aromatic.
- Add tomato paste and stir to coat well. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Crumble in beef and cook until browned and juices have reduced. Add wine and let reduce by half.
- Add passata, cream, oregano and chilli flakes. Str to combine. Bring to a simmer, cover and let simmer for 30 minutes, stirring often. (Add a bit of water if it thickens too much). Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add jalapeños and cook until just softened. Sprinkle in flour and mix to incorporate. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Gradually add milk, whisking constantly until smooth. Add all three kinds of cheese and stir until melted through. Stir in cooked macaroni.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- In a large casserole pan, spread a bit of the ragu on the bottom. Top with lasagna sheets, followed by more ragu, jalapeño macaroni and cheese and sliced cheese. Repeat with remaining, finishing with a layer of macaroni and cheese topped with cheese.
- Cover with parchment and foil. Bake for 30 minutes until bubbling, remove foil and parchment and grill for 5 minutes until golden.
- Slice and enjoy!