- 2/3 medium white onions
- 2 cups cream cheese
- 2 cups grated cheddar
- 1 cup cooked bacon strips
- 3 jalapenos, finely diced
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 2 cups plain flour
- 4 eggs, beaten with a little milk
- 2 cups seasoned panko breadcrumbs
Jalapeno poppers are without a doubt one of the most delicious finger foods known to man. These glossy green chilli peppers are renowned worldwide for their mild heat and tasty flavour. They are wonderful when deep fried, full of cheese and bacon. Paired with that stalwart of burger joints, the onion ring, we are reaching dizzying new heights of deliciousness.
- Peel the outer skin off the onions and trim both ends. Cut into 3/4 rings and separate into chunks.
- In a large bowl mix together the cream cheese, cheddar, bacon strips, jalapenos, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Lay the onion rings on a lined baking sheet and spoon the jalapenos popper mix into them, smoothing it down with a spoon. Pop them in the freezer for around 2 to 3 hours until they feel solid to the touch.
- Heat the oil until it reaches 170°C/340°F.
- Take them out and cover them completely in flour, then egg (shaking off excess) then finally the seasoned breadcrumbs.
- Fry them in batches of three for around 3 - 4 minutes until crispy and cooked through.