- Preheat the oven to 150ºC.
- Pat short ribs dry then season well with pepper.
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven. In batches, sear the ribs on all sides until deeply browned. Set aside.
- Add the onion to the pot and fry until beginning to caramelise at the edges, adding a little more oil if necessary. Add the garlic and ginger cook until aromatic. Add all of the remaining ingredients (apart from the sesame oil), return the ribs to the pot and just cover with water. Cover with parchment and partially cover with a lid.
- Transfer to the oven for 3 1/2 - 4 hours, or until falling off the bone.
- Remove the beef from the sauce and discard the bones. Skim away any excess fat, strain the sauce and return to the hob. Reduce the sauce over a lively flame, add the sesame oil. Shred the meat and return to the sauce.
- Toast your crumpets. Top each with short rib and cheddar. Place under a hot grill to melt the cheese.Garnish with spring onion and toasted sesame seeds.