- Preheat the oven to 180°C/360°F.
- Very finely slice your potatoes (or use a mandolin or food processor).
- Rub a deep sided baking tray (roughly 12 inches by 8) with garlic and butter and then add a layer of overlapping potatoes to the bottom of the dish.
- Pour over a little of the cream then sprinkle with salt and pepper and top with the ragu, the sprinkle with cheese. Repeat this till you are nearly at the top of the dish then lay a final layer of potatoes and top with the remaining cream and a good handful of cheese. Cover with tin foil and bake for 50 minutes, then remove the foil and finish for a further 30.
- 1 kg peeled Maris Piper Potatoes
- 1 clove of garlic, for rubbing onto the dish
- 3 tbsp butter, for greasing
- 600ml/2 cups cream
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 3 cups beef ragu
- 2 cups grated gruyere