The world is going crazy for rainbow everything. Single colours are out, multicoloured everything is in. This recipe for Rainbow Love Cookies will help you accomplish the unicorn lifestyle you so clearly want to lead. Sure, regular cookies are fine, but these are much, much better.
After all, I like my cookies like I like my men, increadibly sweet and easy on the eye. These cookies, are of course both.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 pack unsalted butter, softened
- 230g icing sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 450g Cake flour
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 tsp salt
- 7 different colours of food colouring gels
How You Make It:
- Whip your butter until it’s nice and creamy, then add your icing sugar and mix until nicely incorporated. Now go in with your egg yolks, vanilla essence and salt. Fold through before adding your cake flour. Mix loosely, then bring together to form a stiff dough. If it’s a little dry, flick in a little cold water.
- Slice your dough in two, and pop one half in the fridge for later on.
- Slice your remaining half into 7 equal size pieces, then add your different food colourings to each piece and mix well. You should have 7 different coloured balls. Pop these in the freezer for 20 mins to firm up.
- Roll out each ball of coloured dough and lay them on top of each other in whichever order you fancy, brushing on a little egg wash between each layer. These pieces of rolled out dough need to be roughly the same size, as you will be cutting away the excess to form a perfect block of multicoloured dough. The block also needs to be exactly the same height as the heart cutter you will be using later on.
- Gently roll your pile of doughs so they stick together a bit.
- Cut down so you have a perfect block, then slice again lengthways. Pop these strips in the freezer again to firm up. Once they are firm cut out your hearts so that you can see all the layers of colour in each heart.
- Place one heart down on a surface, pop a little egg wash on the top, then repeat with different hearts until you have 4 or 5 piled up in a tower. Pop this in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Wrap your stack of hearts in your remaining vanilla cookie dough that was in the fridge. Slice this ‘log’ into disks just under a cm wide, then cut each disk with a larger heart cutter so you have a heart inside a heart.
- Brush a little egg wash around the edge and dip in hundreds and thousands. Pop in the freezer for 20 minutes then bake at 160degs for 10 minutes. The biscuits should just be starting to colour.