Mac 'n' Cheese Arancini
What you need
- 300g macaroni
- 20g plain flour
- 20g butter
- 300ml milk
- salt and pepper
- 200g cheddar cheese
- 100g parmesan cheese
- plain flour for coating
- 1 egg
- 3 large handfuls panko breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- 225g tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tbsp chilli flakes
- 1 garlic clove
- 125g caster sugar
- 30ml balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Make the cheese sauce. Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the flour. Mix with a wooden spoon to form a paste and cook for 1 minute. Take off the heat and gradually add the milk, whisking to create a smooth liquid. Return to the heat and slowly mix until it thickens.
- Once your sauce has thickened, add the cheese and melt in. Taste and season. Set aside.
- Cook your macaroni as per packet instructions.
- Once your macaroni is cooked, drain well and stir it in with the cheese sauce to coat. Pour into a shallow dish and refrigerate for 1 hour until firm.
- Meanwhile, make your chilli tomato jam. Put all the ingredients in a mixer, transfer to a saucepan and simmer for half an hour, then cool.
- Take your firm macaroni cheese and slice into cubes. Line onto a tray and when you have used up all the ingredients, chill for 20 minutes.
- Now set up your bread crumbing station: you will need a plate of plain flour, a bowl of beaten egg and a plate of fresh breadcrumbs.
- When the macaroni cubes have firmed up, coat in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs. When you have coated each cube, heat the oil in a frying pan.
- Heat the vegetable oil for deep frying. Test the oil with a piece of bread- a small piece should go golden brown in 20 seconds on each side. Cook in batches and drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve hot alongside the chilli tomato jam.