- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- In a large bowl, either put the cooked and dried potatoes through a ricer or mash with a masher. Fold in eggs, chives, bacon and cheese, season with salt and pepper.
- Take ice cream scoop sized balls of mash and roll into balls. Arrange in a greased baking dish. Press the centres of each ball with a small cup to create a well, set aside.
- In another large bowl, mix together all of the meatball ingredients. Using the same sized ice cream scoops, form balls with the mixture. Place each meatball into the wells of the mashed potato.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the meatballs are cooked through. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Heat oil in a pan over medium meat. Add onions and cook until they soften and are translucent. Add garlic and chilli flakes, saute until aromatic.
- Ladle a spoonful of sauce on top of each meatball. Top with sliced mozzarella. Bake for 10 minutes until cheese is golden.
- Sprinkle with basil and enjoy!