Take your tastebuds on a trip to Latin America, and indulge in some epic meatless cookery while you’re at it. This Meatless Mexican Enchilada Casserole, made with Meatless Farm, makes meat-free cooking as easy as anything and just as delicious as the alternative. Spicy sauce, tangy vegan cheese and layers of soft tortilla - what’s not to love?
- Heat a little oil in a large saute pan over a medium heat. Add your onions & bell peppers and saute until they are soft and starting to caramelise, about 5 mins. Add your Meatless Farm Ground along with your tomato paste and cook out for 5 mins until the meat is starting to brown and has absorbed the tomato paste.
- Add your cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, cayenne pepper, salt and cook out for an additional 2 mins.
- Pour in your tomato sauce and sugar. Simmer for 20 mins on a low heat until your sauce is lovely and rich.
- Meanwhile, melt your dairy free butter in a medium sized saucepan. Add your flour, garlic, chili powder, paprika, cumin and oregano and cook out for 1 min. Add your tomato paste and cook out for a further minute before gradually pouring in your stock, stirring all the while until you have a smooth sauce. Add your vegan cream and cheese and simmer for a further 2 mins until your sauce is a thick pouring consistency. Season with salt to taste.
- In a heatproof dish, spread some of your ground mixture. Top with some cheese sauce, then lay 2 tortillas on top. Repeat with your remaining layers, finishing with a layer of cheese sauce. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 25 mins until the top is bubbly. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve immediately!