- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 diced apples
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 sheets shortcrust pastry
- Egg wash
- Oil for frying
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp melted butter
A loving homage to the beloved dessert of McDonalds, this is a perfect balance of deliciousness. Crispy fried pastry, sweet - tart apples, sugary icing. A stunning mini mouthful of pastry fun.
- Fry the apples in a large frying pan in the butter. Add the lemon juice, sugar and cinnamon and cook until the apples have softened but not broken up. Take off the heat and allow to cool.
- Roll out the pastry sheets and place roughly a heaped tablespoon of the mixture in even spaced mounds across it. Leave around 2 cm between them. Brush egg wash around the edges and between the apple mixture.
- Carefully lay the other sheet of pastry over the top and press in to stick the two pieces of pastry together thoroughly - try and squeeze the air out of the individual pies so they don't pop in the fryer! Leave them in the fridge to set while you bring the oil to 180°C/370°F.
- Whisk together the sugar, water and butter to make the icing.
- Fry the pies in batches and leave them on a cooling rack to drain any excess oil away. When cool, drizzle with the icing.