Mini Jam Doughnuts
What you need
- Whisk together warm milk (make sure it isn't too hot or it'll stop the yeast from working) with the melted butter and egg.
- Stir in the yeast, 1/4 of a cup of sugar (save the rest for rolling the fried doughnuts in) and the flour. Mix together then move onto a floured board and knead until you can feel the texture of the dough begin to change and become smooth, springy to the touch and slightly elastic.
- Place back in the bowl and cover with clingfilm. Set aside for an hour or so until the dough doubles in size.
- Roll out the dough to roughly 1cm thickness and use a 4cm cookie cutter to get roughly 25 circles of dough.
- Pat or roll each circle into a disk and put around half a teaspoon of strawberry jam in the centre. Carefully fold the dough circle in half with the jam in the centre then pinch the edges together to make a semicircle. Fold the outer edges in and then the top to create a small ball of dough. Roll in your hands to smooth.
- Heat the oil to 170°C/340°F and fry the doughnuts in batches until golden brown and puffed up. When they are still warm roll in the leftover caster sugar and serve.